Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Write Back 1

 A memory I can think of is when my mom would either make breakfast or clean on a Sunday. Those days included 80's and 90's R & B music like New Addition, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, and mostly Prince. I would smell pancakes and bacon coming down the stairs, and there would be my mom, just singing along, reminiscing about her time before I came along. I remember that sometimes I would get annoyed with her singing or playing music loudly in the morning because I enjoyed silence more than noise. These moments felt normal to me, even though it annoyed me a lot more than it amused me. I don't think me, and my mom have anything in common at all. She is more talkative, loud, and a lot faster to anger, while I am shy, quiet, and patient. It makes me feel very different from her because I feel like she doesn't get me or understand me. Maybe she understands me when I go through what she went through as a teenager growing up, but she doesn't get me anymore than that. I think the only way we could be the same is by our looks. There were a lot of people that said that I looked like my mom when I was younger and sometimes still. Other than that, we are completely different. Even though she really wants to be the person that I go to for everything and talk to her about all of my problems and troubles in this world, I still don't think of her as a go-to person you "can tell". I just don't trust her or myself to just talk about anything with. I never felt comfortable talking about myself with my mom. It isn't just her that I don't trust, it's people in general. I don't trust friends like I used to, I don't really trust my family, I don't trust myself. I just don't. I can't bring myself to talk to anyone like I'm so comfortable with them like that anymore. I used to have someone, but I don't speak to them anymore and quite frankly, it's better that way.



1 comment:

  1. You set the scene vividly through your description of the sounds and scents brought into being by your mother. And though this powerful and slightly humorous line "sometimes I would get annoyed with her singing or playing music loudly in the morning because I enjoyed silence more than noise," you set up gracefully for the contrast between you and your mother that follows. Thank you for sharing your discomfort with sharing. Your final line packs a punch--as a reader, it leaves me wanting more (which is a good place to leave a reader)!

    ReplyDelete

Semi-Essay 3

            If flaws had emotions and physical capabilities, would they be called human beings? The NBC TV show, Community , certainly thin...